Wednesday, January 13, 2010
You know you are from Delhi when...
This stuff is sourced from a forward mail.
It's very apt while describing the cultural practices in Delhi. There are few descriptions we may not like but they are mostly true.
You know you are from Delhi when...
1. You drink only on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday to Sunday evenings. And try
not drinking on Tuesday.
2. Treating a friend means - Daaru Shaaru te kabbab shabaab.
3. Even in the most posh colonies, you hear, "Aaloo lelo !!!, Bhindi le lo !!!!
Pyaaz le lo !!!!, Tamatar le lo......"
4. And you hear women asking the vegetable vendor "Bhaiyaa dhaniya hari mirchi
nahi diya!" [Even with Half a kilo Carrot - Dhania & Hari Mirch is expected free
5. A place to meet is Mocha, (CCD), Barista, Hookah.
6. You use the word "setting" or "jugaad" at-least once a day.
7. You have not visited either of - Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Lotus Temple. It is
only for tourists, so Delhiites say.
8. You ride on the cycle rickshaw in NOIDA (more popularly known as NEODA) -
haggle over the price, but still pity rickshaw walla's condition and give him
what he asked.
9. You glare at people who call Gol Guppas as Pani Puri!
10. You always ask the vendor "Bhaiya yeh Gol-Guppe Aate ki hai ya Sooji ke?"
11. Schooling is best is Delhi not because of CBSE, but because you've had
school cancelled thrice due to cold in winters & summer vacations preponed due
to sudden increase heat in Summers and at least two Rainy Day off during
12. You have been to a wedding at a Mehrauli farmhouse at least once.
13. You understand all important words in Punjabi & punjabi "helping
verbs" like teri m*******, teri b&&&&&&&... oye etc etc. Almost every Delhiite
understands Punjabi to an extent. PUNJABI unites everyone.
14. You call the waiter in the restaurant "boss" or "Pappey" & tack on "yaar"
"bhai" to almost every sentence.
15. You know that Pappay Da Dhaba or Kake Da Hotel has better butter chicken
than Taj. You've at least tried it once! And you see a BMW, a Porsche OR a
Mercedes parked outside it!
16. You describe practically every other person on the planet as "Vella".
('Idle' or Nikamma in Punjabi).
17. You see middle-aged Aunties wearing Gucci shades and holding LV bags having
Gol-Gappas in GK or Bhelpuri in South Ex along with Diet Coke !
18. You call every stranger 'Bhaiyya'.
19. You refer to East Delhi as 'Jamuna Paar'. Recite Nanak dukhiya sab sansar
par sabse dukiya Jamuna Paar.
20. You refer to AIIMS as Medical.
21. Pretty girls as Totta, Maal or Bamb (Punjabi for Bomb).
22. Aashiq mizaz boys as Majnu di Aulad !
23. You dont buy tickets for a music concert or cricket match, but try to use
political contacts... of the deputy secretary of the chief secretary of the
Minister of State for Khadi.
24. You overtake everyone from the wrong side and stare into his/her eyes while
25. You have at least two cars and a motorbike at home.
26. And you have fought at least once every month with neighbors over parking...
27. You park your Car and take a Auto-rickshaw to Lajpat Nagar / Rajouri/ Kamla
Nagar/ Karol Bagh. But CP, you don't get parking space easily, yet you go always
in your own vehicle.
28. And then you say apni Kanvense (conveyance) howe na ta badi Kanvinyance
(convenience) hondi hai ji !!!!
29. You've hit 120 kmph at Nelson Mandela Marg and waited for midnight to do it.
30. You have bribed a traffic cop (Mama) at least once, every month.
31. You know that a farmhouse has nothing to do with cattle or farming. It is
luxurious hangout for whole night.
32. You use "contacts" (jugaad) for everything, from getting movie tickets to
restaurant bookings to play-school admissions.
33. You have had Anda parantha outside Vikram hotel and Bun Omlette at Dhaula
Kuan, Kulfi at Karol Bagh, Gol Gappe at India Gate, Dosa at Madras Hotel,
Chana/Kulcha at Scindia House and Chaat at UPSC.
34. Metro rail is your Pride but you travel in your Car.
36. You think EVERY South Indian comes from ' Madras ' and is a Madrasi.
37. You feel indicating which way you are going to turn your vehicle is an
information security leak.
38. You are a good driver coz you are correct in your guess of what the driver
in the front vehicle will do.
39. The only time you went to the Chidiya Ghar (Zoo) was on a school picnic.
40. You expect around 10 FM STATIONS in every city! Woho.!
41. DESPITE all the good and bad........You still Love Delhi...
42. You keep singing ..... Dilli hai Dil Walon ki..... Oye Balle Balle !!!